Food, Faith, Justice #4 – In my community? Natalie Moreno ’22

On Tuesday, our group visited the Pleasant Hope Baptist Church and spoke with the Rev. Dr. Heber Brown III, who informed us of the initiatives that his parish has taken to address issues pertaining to food insecurity. Pastor Brown mentioned that they developed the Black Food Security Network, where they have a community garden and a fresh farmers market with produce from their garden. Pastor Brown described that the name emphasized his desire to serve his community specifically; it didn’t necessarily mean that it was an exclusive group, but it did mean that it was created with the focus of his community in mind. At Pleasant Hope, we had a fruitful conversation with Pastor Brown about how he has had the opportunity to move on to another parish, and time and time again he has rejected the offer because he wants to be around to help his community. What was important to him was being there for his community and making sure they got the help and support that they needed within their community.    

Through the duration of this trip, one of the things that has stuck with me is Pastor Brown’s words, where he said, so many times people think they’re going to work a job until they get the money they need to help their community, and once they realize they finally have the means to give back, 45 years of their career have past and they’re onto the next chapter of their life. This trip leaves me with much to think about; as I continue my educational endeavors, I realize that these issues pertaining to food insecurity that have been prevalent in my own community in Los Angeles will not stop and wait until I am available to help them. It is an ongoing struggle, and one that needs immediate change. This leads me to ask what can I do now to start working towards the change I want to see in the world? In my community? I would be lying if I said this hasn’t made me reevaluate my long term career goals and what my priorities are. Pastor Brown’s words have reminded me to remember where I came from and be the change that I want to see in the world.