Reflecting Back – Verona Hendricks ’22

This trip to Baltimore was truly an amazing experience. I am overly grateful and appreciative for the work that Kurt Nelson has put into informing students about food insecurity that happens right before our eyes. The trip started with an inspirational message from Pastor Brown at Pleasant Hope Baptist Church. Here he and his team greeted us with a warm welcome as we were about to embark on our experience of Baltimore. They spoke to us about the demographics of Baltimore and the gentrification that took place and has and continues to impact thousands of Baltimore residents today. One of the pressing issues in Baltimore city is the unequal distribution of resources that has caused many to become food insecure. Neighborhoods in the city have been named a “food desert” due to the lack of resources and the inability of the residents to access stores that provide nutrient-rich foods. This eye-opening discussion truly paved the way for a week full of extremely meaningful work. 

with Pastor Duane Duckett, learning about the Leading through Feeding Ministry of New Kingdom / iCARRe

Something very special to me on this trip is the willingness of people to teach and speak with the youth. I believe the youth hold an abundance of power for our future generations. It starts with education first, the more people that are made aware of the issues around them, the more people will be prompted to do something to make a difference in the system. It only takes one person to make a change that puts a dent in the current system that has destroyed many. 

Something else I have appreciated on this trip is the people that distribute food to food-insecure cities are very adamant about making sure we treat all people equally. Food is a necessity to survive and not just calories, but a balanced meal that is filled with nutrients. People should not be offered fewer nutrient foods due to their socioeconomic status. Canned foods are simply not sufficient for one’s daily nutrients. People need fresh fruit, veggies, and produce to sustain them daily. If you would not feel comfortable eating what you’re giving others, then it should not be given out. The workers at the organizations of Our Daily Bread and iCARRe Found both made sure we understood this.

We then concluded with one last visit to Pastor Brown where we debriefed and did some self-reflection after our work. I am grateful for learning what I have on this trip and I hope to continue to integrate what I have learned into my day-to-day future life.