A Cultural Reflection – Lamine Camara ’26

I had the opportunity to meet the Bread for the World Organization in Washington DC. Their goal is to tackle food insecurity and build healthy sustainable food systems national-wide. Hunger cannot be saved in one day. So advocating on a national level can create awareness for the Capital. Since the farm bill controls our food and farm programs, informing members of the Congress is ideal to establish change. This year, this organization is targeting the Farm Bill in order to increase access to healthy food options, and give SNAP benefits for marginalized communities. There was also a nice view on the top of the building, so that was a plus.

The rooftop of Bread for the World (with Lamine featured prominently peeking out from behind Rai’s head) with Rev. David Street, Strategist for NextGen at Bread.

Following the meeting, I visited the National Museum of the American Indian. I first ordered lunch and the line was humongous. I enjoyed the quick Burger Fries Combo and journeyed to the exhibits. Looking at all these artifacts, I realized how much the indigenous people are represented in our daily culture. Not necessarily in a good way though. Native Americans have been discriminated against, enslaved, and violated. Yet they are present in so many brands. Shortly after, a chant performance by an indigenous person happened. I made a mistake and copied him, but his performance was enjoyable. Being exposed to different cultures made me recognize the respect each one deserves.  Culture represents identity and his culture should be valued.

I watched Da’Mirah get her nose pierced and took an electric scooter to the movie theater. I never had insomnia cookies so i bought the deluxe duo including milk. Oh boy it was 10/10. Time flew by and we bought tickets for Scream. Tickets were 23 dollars each. That sounds like a complete scam. However, we watched it in a 4k movie experience. Seats were moving, water was supposed to feel like blood etc. Movie was overall a 7/10. After the movie, I rejoined the community to eat dinner in an anime inspired ramen restaurant. 

Great conversations to end the day off.